Saturday, March 31, 2007

90 - Knightly Ritual


Dad Reading, originally uploaded by carolfoasia.

Every night before bed, this wonderful man props this same green pillow up against our kids' bunk bed and reads out loud to them. He has been doing it throughout their whole lives. I don't know when they will outgrow it, but I hope it is not any time soon. It is their "male bonding" time, and I often hear laughter coming out of this room in addition to deep question and answer periods. I hope this is a memory they will hold forever.

It is 11:16 p.m., and he is still in there reading! He just finished The Hobbit, and he has just started The Lord of the Rings.

It is 11:19 p.m. now, and they are done. He is telling them stories about their grandfather, and they are laughing hysterically.

These are the things I treasure in my heart.

4 comments:

SUSAN said...

Brings back great memories. My older girls listened to me read "Lord of the Rings" aloud all the way through high school. Nathan, at 15, isn't really interested in my reading aloud anymore. I have offered to read LOTR again to Christy and she is considering my offer. ;-) John never wanted to read aloud but he often listened to me read.

These are definately times to treasure!

Susan

Sandie said...

Dirk loved reading outloud to the kids. Again being the 'baby' Nathan got less of Dirk's reading than the girls did. As the girls grew out of it and schedules shifted it just never got picked back up as a nightly activity. I think when Dirk was working here as a mentor and reading novels during the day...he and Nathan just didn't seem to do it at night with the two of them anymore.

Dalissa 365 said...

Shouldn't that read, "Knightly Ritual" !!!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Oh my! You are so incredibly clever, Dali! YES, IT SHOULD! I changed it!