Sunday, March 25, 2007

84 - Mock Orange (Update: Not!)


Mock Orange, originally uploaded by carolfoasia.

I thought this flower in our friends' yard was just lovely.

Here is a bit of history about it:

Species name is Philadelphus Lewisii. Mock orange is a beautiful and fragrant shrub named (species name) after Captain Meriweather Lewis who discovered it in 1804. The genus name honors the ancient Egyptian king "Philadelphus".

Mock orange is found from British Columbia south to northern California and east to central Idaho and western Montana. It is the state flower of Idaho.

Update: Yes Rachel, you were right. It is a Flowering Quince and not a Mock Orange after all!

4 comments:

Ampersand said...

REally nice. I'm enjoying all the blooms. Very uplifting, just as are you :-).

Rachel said...

That's a new one for me--I've never seen a mock orange in any color but white. It's lovely. The color and flower are a lot like a quince, and if I could get that combination without the prickles of a quince, plus the glorious fragrance of a mock orange, I'd be a happy gardener. Your blog is better than a gardening catalog!

Unknown said...

Here to you, reigning queen of the best flower photos I've seen. Wow.

Unknown said...

Should read: Here's to you...