Monday, March 5, 2007

64 - The Virtue of Chastity


DSC_0022, originally uploaded by carolfoasia.

Chastity (purity, opposes lust) —
Courage and boldness. Embracing of moral wholesomeness and achieving purity of thought through education and betterment. Practicing proper love and its expression due to one's spiritual vocation.

These are my mentors, Ginny and Lorraine. They are in their 80's and were missionaries in Japan for over 35 years. They remained single (although they had more than one offer), and they labored with courage and boldness and love in post-World War II Japan bringing the light of Christ to a war-torn place. They planted more than one church and loved many Japanese along the way.

I have been going up to see them in their retirement village one time a month for over five years now, and my life will forever be enriched by the time.

They are my heroes.

9 comments:

Sandy said...

As soon as I saw this picture I said "That's Ginny and Lorraine." I just love being able to see these wonderful women I've heard you talk about so often. How did you meet them, Carol?

Paula said...

What an awesome, incredible picture for this virtue. There is so much peace in their faces. This picture makes me want to sit at their feet.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I met them when they came back from the field in 1987. Of all things, I talked about contentment in singleness in a mini-sermon at church in 1989 (like I was qualifid compared to them!), we got to know each other after that and I met with them before I went overseas in 1997. I thought some might enjoy seeing a picture of them. :)

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Paula, they are amazing women! They have people come from miles around to fit at their feet. They constantly have visitors from Japan. Some of the people they led to the Lord as college students are in their 60's now! What a legacy they are leaving.

RedGypsie said...

What a cool thing to finally get to "meet" Ginny and Loraine!! They are beautiful! Thank you for sharing them with us.

SUSAN said...

I am so happy to finally see Ginny and Lorraine! What a blessing they are. :-) Perfect picture for this virtue.

Susan

LauraLiz said...

Perfect for this virtue! I am so glad to finally have faces to go with these names. They are so lovely. :-)

Sandie said...

here I am struggling with this 'assignment' and you are just continue to knock it out of the park with these perfect, and beautiful images :) They look like very wise peaceful women!

Natalia said...

I love your virtues series. You are such an insightful woman.