Thursday, May 31, 2007

151 - Rebuilding Wildcat


151 - Rebuilding Wildcat, originally uploaded by carolfoasia.

This beloved park is at the end of our street, In early 2006 the School District and the City Parks and Recreation Department determined that multiple safety issues with the park warranted its closing. The announcement was met with dismay from children and families all over our town and so a group of supporters came together to mount a campaign to rebuild the park. Volunteers (led by two of my wonderful neighbors) have been working tirelessly to get it rebuilt by raising $142,000 with only $8,000 more to go. It is such a neat effort in our community. The last park play structure was built twenty years ago out of wood. This one is a plastic/wood combo that will hopefully last much longer.

The community started building on Tuesday, and the goal is to get it done by Sunday. It has been so inspiring to see the streets around the park jam-packed with cars of volunteers working on it. It is so exciting. It made me cry today when I drove by it, and I had to stop to take a picture. I am so proud of our community and the wonderful, giving people that I live among.

The work area is all roped off. So, I couldn't get any closer than this shot, but what was really special was I noticed two tall boys walking at a distance and said, "Hey, that looks like P and M.!" Then, when I finished taking pictures, I saw this tall, dark, and handsome man appear out of this maze you see above only to disappear again. It was my dear husband! He had taken his second afternoon off from work and today asked the boys to come and help too. They helped dad move wood while he sawed.

What a guy! I think I will make this Reason #12: Because he has a giving heart of service and models that to our boys. :)

3 comments:

LauraLiz said...

When we lived in Newnan, a couple of ladies spearheaded an effort to build a nice park. It took a while to get the logistics worked out, but once started, it went up in just a few days. Incredible!

Make sure we get an "after" shot!

SUSAN said...

Our town did one of those "Build a park ina week" kind of things too. It's amazing. Many hands make light work. Glad your dh and boys could help.

Susan

Sandy said...

Looks like a huge project - please post an after picture!