Friday, May 25, 2007

145 - Lily of the Incas


Alstroemeria Close Up, originally uploaded by carolfoasia.

Never knew I had this plant either, but I just love it! The official name of this flower is the Alstroemeria.

Background: The genus was named for the Swedish baron Clas Alströmer (Claus von Alstroemer) by his close friend Carolus Linnaeus("father of modern taxonomy" ). The plant was first described by the French botanist Louis Feuillée. The plant's seeds were among many collected by Alströmer on a trip to South America in 1753. This particular kind is a native of Brazil, but it is very popular in New Zealand and often called the New Zealand Christmas Bell (because it blooms there during Christmas time!). Other common names are: parrotlily, parrot flower, red parrot beak, and the Peruvian lily

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Very pretty. They remind me of azaleas a bit.

Susanne Barrett said...

Gorgeous. I see these in the city a bunch.

Dancingirl said...

I love these! I've bought them cut to put in the house and they last a long time.