Friday, May 18, 2007

138 - The Historic Elsinore Theatre


, originally uploaded by carolfoasia.



We went to see a musical today in Salem. I always love coming to this theatre built in 1926. The Elsinore received its name from Shakespeare’s immortal tragedy, "Hamlet." The design is based on the historic Elsinore Castle in Denmark which is believed to be the setting William Shakespeare chose for Hamlet. It was host to silent movies, vaudeville, and promising new performers, including Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, Otis Skinner, Clark Gable and the John Phillip Sousa Marine Band. It was slated to be demolished in 1980 but concerned citizens saved it, and it was totally refurbished between 2002-2004. It is a gorgeous theatre.

I learned this is a "proscenium theatre" and this is a "proscenium arch" you see in the picture above. Here is a bit of history about this part of the theatre:

"Original ceiling panels, balcony breasts, and proscenium arch panels were designed, engineered and fabricated by Louis Gluck of Seattle. Each little fan on the proscenium arch had to be engineered differently to make a symmetrical pattern fit into an asymmetrical space. Close examination reveals two different curves. The shape of the panels change as the arch comes down the sides. The left-hand side of the arch honors Mr. Guthrie’s family with a shield of Scotland. His family’s crest is located on the seventh panel up from the left. Mrs. Guthrie’s family is similarly recognized with a shield of Norway, and her family’s crest is the seventh panel up from the right.

There are no high-tech solutions to cleaning historic plasterwork. EverGreene crews stood on scaffolding high above the auditorium stage and used over ten gallons of Simple Green and dozens of disposable two-inch, white bristle brushes to remove the decades of accumulated nicotine, dirt and grime from the theatre’s splendid proscenium arch. Using a hose, a common garden sprayer and a drainage system fashioned from towels, rags, and plastic bags they rinsed the artwork and disposed of the filthy water. The cleaning process took weeks. Once it was completed artists restored the decorative paintings and then sealed them with a removable, conservation varnish specifically designed to protect artwork from dirt and deterioration."

Here is the front and a "me on the street self-portrait."

8 comments:

Dancingirl said...

Wow! Beautiful interior. I enjoyed this entry a lot!

Sandie said...

Cool! I have heard of this place before but never had an image to go with the name!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Really, you've actually heard of it? It is the home of Gregory Peck's last performance. I think that is pretty cool. I have had a fun history lesson today!

Claire said...

Love your self portrait! Yes, I think that the intricate handiwork that went into so many structures (Like the Brown Palace Hotel I visited in Denver)is stunning. I'm so glad when a community restores it.

Susanne Barrett said...

Gorgeous architecture and detail! Simply fabulous (as is the lady in the last photo!).

Susanne Barrett said...

claire -- I think, but I'm not sure as I don't have my reserach with me, that my great-great-grandfather designed the Brown Palace Hotel in Denver. I will double-check when my mom gets back from Hawaii (she took my research with her). But I'm about 75% sure he did.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Susanne, that is SO cool!

Unknown said...

You're as pretty at teh building! Love the interior like Becky.