Saturday, January 6, 2007

Ephipany Book Club


I hosted the "Book Dames" Book Club today because Mary Beth forgot all about opening the clubhouse. This is the pile I am cleaning up after the 2 hours of visiting and discussing Anna Karenina. New members: A middle school literature teacher (now we have two!) and a woman who loves Shakespeare and has read just about everything on the planet. Oh happy day! (As Elizabeth Bennet would say.)

Description of stack from top down:

Calculator - for averaging our rating scores for the book. It was 7.6

Anna Karenina - Constance Garnett Translation (most had the Oprah Peveer translation)

The Well-Educated Mind by Susan Wise-Bauer - Brought out for reference regarding Anna Karenina

Sense and Sensibility - Brought out because we were talking about Austen, and I am going to watch it today while I make my mom's 80th birthday scrapbook

Jane Austen: The Complete Novels - We will read Pride and Prejudice next!

What Jane Austen ATE and Charles Dickens KNEW by Daniel Pool - Recommended as a great reference for reading English literature, packed with background information for things from Fox Hunting to Whist.

My TWEM Novels Notebook - Has the typed out grammar, logic, and rhetoric questions I answered while going through the 31 novels in The Well-Educated Mind. I used it to help myself lead the discussion.

Off to scrapbook and make an Ephipany Treasure Chest Cake!

4 comments:

SUSAN said...

Books are beautiful. Photographs of books are beautiful!!

Susan

Paula said...

I would love to be part of a book club like yours. I really like Anna K. It made me think.

Dalissa 365 said...

Great descriptive photograph of your day. I'd love to be a part of your book club any day.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

You are all invited to my book club any time!

I am glad you like Anna K., Paula! I don't think they were as wild about it as I am. :)