Sunday, January 7, 2007

Photographs and Memories



How does one summarize a life in 48 short 7x7 pages?

This has been a wonderful project for me to remember the 80 years of my mom's life.

She spent her first 29 years growing up poor in Chicago. She survived the depression while taking care of her two younger sisters so both parents could work in order to make ends meet. She graduated from the University of Illinois, Urbana and was the first to do so in her family. She won Miss Chicago Tall and became a medical technologist. She moved to "God's Country," (Los Angeles) and within two weeks met a "tall, dark and handsome" man while shopping for a car. On their first day he said, "How would you like a 'slightly used' husband?" The rest is history.

The next 29 years were spent with this man, inheriting a 12 year old boy and having two more within three years. Life was full with "Big Chuck" who took her water skiing and fishing and camping and on a ride that she still has not forgotten and was far too short.

The last 22 years have been spent cruising the world, cuddling grandchildren, and caring for people through her church. Alzheimer's and osteoporosis have slowed her down in more recent years, but she has lived a full and rich and lovely life full of warm and wonderful memories.

This is my tribute to her.

9 comments:

Paula said...

Neat tribute. And the pictures tell such a story.

LauraLiz said...

Thanks for sharing your mother's life. I imagine the project is good for you, even though parts are probably tinged with sadness. The picture is great.

Katrina said...

Nice tribute, Carol. Great "collage" of pictures, too.

my15minutes said...

I think it's cool to think that the photos we are taking in this project could be the photos used by our children, or grandchildren, to honor our lives someday. What a great project for you.

Unknown said...

What are the 48 pages? Are you writing a biography?

Love the photo.

Sandie said...

This is a very sweet tribute to your mom that your children and grandchildren will treasure.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

The 48 pages are for the scrapbook. I am just putting one to two pictures on each pages with a little bit of biography/journaling. I might even wait to do the journaling until I go down to see my mom. I might ask her questions about each picture before I write.

Dancingirl said...

So special. I enjoyed seeing the pictures spread out and reading your comments.

MaryD said...

what a great idea for honoring her. i walked away from my comp. with the photographs and memories song in my brain, had to come back to let you know!