Friday, November 20, 2009

Trip to Urgent Care


Trip to Urgent Care, originally uploaded by carolfoasia.

November 14

At 5:45 a.m., I removed the sugar bag from the cupboard to make Chai tea. This set off a chain reaction: the raisin bag fell against the pepper shaker, it fell out of the cupboard onto a 16 oz glass tumbler breaking it, the broken glass descended on to my foot cutting through the skin AND the extensor tendon for my big toe.

I tried to go get George (who was sleeping in the bedroom) by walking across the floor trying to apply pressure without getting blood on the carpet. When I realized this was futile. I whispered down the hall, and my Mr. Knightly sprang into action. Paul (who was sleeping downstairs and a family practice doc) came an hour later and said I needed to go to Urgent Care. We had to wait until it opened at 9 am. I got it stitched up by 10:15, but I got the grim news that I would probably need surgery to reconnect the tendon.

Moral of the story: Do not make Chai tea without steel toed boots in the kitchen.

No comments: